We’d like to show you how to make a vol au vent in pictures because it’s simple to make if you start with good puff pastry.
Puff pastry is much more difficult to make and while we will show you how to make it at home soon, for now, you can start with a good puff pastry that you can find in any store both fresh and frozen. We prefer to work with fresh puff pastry, looking for one that is easier to work with and, above all one that has the best flavor regardless of whether it is round or square, and even less to put into practice how to make a vol au vent.
- 1 sheet of quality puff pastry
- 1 egg
- To make a vol au vent you'll need two pasta cutters of varying diameters and a kitchen brush preferably silicone Because traditional ones can leave hairs on food. The pasta cutters can be round, ribbed, or any other shape we desire.
- Spread the puff pastry sheet on the work surface using the same paper that it was wrapped in. Continue to cut the puff pastry portions with the largest pasta cutter if you want to make four vol au vents cut twelve discs.
- After that set aside four discs to serve as the bases for the vol au vents, and in the remaining eight, use the small pasta cutter to create a ring with an outside diameter equal to the base and an interior hole.
- Brush the beaten egg over all of the puff pastry pieces and place two puff pastry rings on each base. The centers of the cuts can be saved to make a small bite today, we filled them with praline cream and sprinkled them with icing sugar it was a delectable petit four. It can also be baked and used to cover the vol au vent.
- Preheat the oven to 200oC with heat up and down; when the temperature is reached add the vol au vent preparations place the tray in the center of the oven and bake until the top is golden brown.
- When the vol au vents are done baking place them on a wire rack to cool. If the center has risen slightly before filling them, carefully cut it following the circle with the blade of the knife vertically and they will be ready to fill with whatever you want.
Amount Per Serving Calories 57Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 47mgSodium 36mgCarbohydrates 3gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 2g