This homemade spelled bread recipe demonstrates that it is not difficult to make any type of bread without the use of a machine. You will only need spelled flour and whole wheat flour possibly organic brewer’s yeast, salt, and oil, and you will work the dough for about ten minutes with your hands or if you prefer with a hook mixer.
Try it and you’ll discover that making bread is both enjoyable and rewarding as well as inexpensive and beneficial to your health (in fact you will be absolutely sure of the ingredients list of your bread).
- 300 G. OF SPELLED FLOUR
- 100 G. OF WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
- 12 G. OF BREWER'S YEAST
- 25 CL. OF WARM WATER
- 2 TABLESPOONS OF EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- 1 TABLESPOON OF FINE SALT
- Warm water should be used to dilute the yeast.
- In a mixing bowl combine the two flours with the salt then add the yeast dissolved in the water and the oil.
- Work for at least ten minutes either by hand or with a hook mixer.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and set it aside in a warm place for an hour and a half (for example the oven just warmed and then turned off).
- Take the dough, knead it on the pastry board to deflate it then shape it into a round loaf place it on a plate or on a nonstick pan or covered with parchment paper and let it rest for another hour and a half in a warm environment covered with a tea towel.
- Preheat the oven to 240 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake the bread for about 30 minutes in an oven with a metal bowl full of water.
- Cool the spelled bread on a wire rack.
Amount Per Serving Calories 285Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 0mgSodium 1061mgCarbohydrates 51gFiber 4gSugar 0gProtein 8g