Start with a thickening base such as roux which is a butter and flour mixture but if you are not a professional cook you can skip it. A simple dinner like this can be made without the roux by simply adding the flour to the milk before heating it.
If there are children among the diners the recipe must have few ingredients such as cheese sauce and short pasta. However the dish looks fantastic with some additional ingredients such as ham, peas, precooked sausages, red peppers, or even mushrooms.
You can either prepare and eat them right away or set them aside to have food ready when you need it. If they become hard, a splash of milk and a few seconds in the microwave will soften them. You can also bake them to get a golden crisp on top.
Of course there are many commercial mac and cheese recipes available but nothing beats making it from scratch. It’s a great option for a homemade family dinner especially if you want to spoil the kids. Do you want a recipe that is even easier to make? Melt the cheese with warm cream and season with salt and pepper to taste. It couldn’t be simpler.
- 450 g of short pasta
- 375 ml whole milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 - 3 cups shredded cheese, such as cheddar, Monterey
- 1/2 cucharadita de sal
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- To cook the pasta bring 4 liters of water to a boil in a pot over high heat. Combine the pasta and a tablespoon of salt in a mixing bowl. Cook for 8 minutes or until the pasta is al dente. Drain and set aside.
- When the pasta is done, make the cheese sauce. To begin heat 250 mL of milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Combine the remaining milk and flour in a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth.
- When the milk starts to boil, add the milk-flour mixture. Continue whisking gently until the milk thickens slightly and has a thick consistency. It takes approximately 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the grated or chunky cheese, salt, and mustard at this point. Stir until the cheese is completely melted and the sauce is creamy. Then, turn off the heat.
- Combine the cooked pasta and the cheese sauce in a mixing bowl. Stir to evenly coat the pasta. Add the second half of the sauce, as well as any additional ingredients, if desired.
- Serve right away. If you have time, bake the mac and cheese for a golden crust. Pour the mixture into a saucepan cover with aluminum foil, and cook for 30 minutes at 170 ° C. Remove the paper sprinkle with breadcrumbs or Parmesan cheese, and bake for another 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Amount Per Serving Calories 965Total Fat 63gSaturated Fat 35gTrans Fat 2gUnsaturated Fat 20gCholesterol 184mgSodium 1196mgCarbohydrates 48gFiber 2gSugar 6gProtein 50g