The chicken for pakora is marinated in spices, peppers, and citrus juice before being quickly fried in the silky chickpea batter. It’s so good that I can’t stop thinking of other things that deserve the pakora treatment. maybe some shrimp definitely eggplant and cauliflower.
- 2 pounds of rough pitted and pitted plums (weigh after mince and cut)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 doz small thin sliced Thai chillies (any chili will do)
- 1/4 cup of cider vinegar
- finely grated zest of 1 lime
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 kg of chicken, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 lime juice
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup of chickpeas or chickpea flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 3/4 cup hot water (more or less)
- vegetable oil for frying
- To make the hot sauce combine all of the hot sauce ingredients in a heavy saucepan and thoroughly combine. Set aside for an hour covered.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 30 to 40 minutes or until the mixture reduces and thickens. You can test the mixture for readiness by placing a small amount on a very cold plate it should gelatinize as it cools.
- Serve in clean jars with a 1/2 inch of space at the top. Screw the lids on loosely and turn the jars upside down to cool. Keep the hot sauce in the fridge. Makes three half-pint jars which should last at least a month.
- To prepare the pakora In a mixing bowl combine the chicken fillets 1 teaspoon garam masala mustard seeds chili flakes jalapeno and citrus juices. Mix well and place in the refrigerator for about an hour to marinate
- Combine the chickpea flour baking powder garam masala turmeric and salt in a mixing bowl. Pour in the hot water and stir until it forms a thick mass. It should be thick enough to completely cover the chicken with no dripping. If necessary use more or less water.
- Mix the chicken mixture into the dough thoroughly.
- In a heavy saucepan heat about two inches of oil until it reaches 350F. Place the coated chicken pieces in the hot oil. Fry a few pieces at a time for about 2-3 minutes, depending on their size. They must be golden and thoroughly cooked. You may need to open one first to see if it is fully cooked. Remember that they will continue to cook after they are removed from the residual heat pan.
- Using a paper towel blot the excess oil. Serve immediately with hot sauce on the side.
- Bring to a boil and boil the mixture for about 30 to 40 minutes until it reduces and thickens. You can try the mixture so that it is ready by placing it a little on a very cold plate, it should gelatinize as it cools.
- Serve in clean jars up to 1/2 inch from the top. Screw the lids on (not too tight) and turn the jars upside down to cool them. Store the hot sauce in the refrigerator. Makes 3 half-pint jars that should last at least a month or more.
- To make the pakora Place the chicken fillets in a bowl along with 1 teaspoon of garam masala, mustard seeds, chili flakes, jalapeño, and citrus juices. Mix well and set aside to marinate for about an hour in the refrigerator.
- Mix the chickpea flour with baking powder, garam masala, turmeric, and salt. Add the hot water until it forms a thick mass. It should be thick enough to cover the chicken without dripping. Use more or less water if necessary.
- Put the chicken mixture into the dough and mix well.
- Heat about two inches of oil in a heavy saucepan until it reaches about 350F. Collect the coated chicken pieces and place them in the hot oil. Fry a few pieces at a time for about 2-3 minutes depending on the size of the pieces. They must be golden and well cooked. You may need to open one at first to determine if they are fully cooked. Remember that they will continue to cook for a while after they come out of the pan of residual heat.
- Drain on a paper towel. Serve hot with hot sauce on the side.
Amount Per Serving Calories 1049Total Fat 40gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 25gCholesterol 235mgSodium 563mgCarbohydrates 105gFiber 9gSugar 74gProtein 70g